That’s how many awards The Curious Case of Benjamin Button won!
Note: These were the least enjoyable movie experiences that we had this year. We try not to spend our money on movies that we know will be bad, so you could also call these the most disappointing movies of the year.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
An annoyingly epic movie which shows the life of a man who ages backwards. You don’t really see anything happen other than that and there is a stupid hummingbird added in the movie for awkward conclusion effects. Great aging affects, but other than that absolutely atrocious. Read review here.
Granted we didn’t see all the movies that we could have in 2008, this is a list of the movies we saw and what we deem as our favorites. Movies are not listed in any particular order.
Surprising action-packed stoner comedy that takes a turn for the greatest at the end. James Franco finally get a lead role in an Appatow movie and maybe he’ll be considered for more.
The Dark Knight
Sequel in the Batman series is movie perfection with outstanding performances from the deceased Heath Ledger. Great action, suspense and thrill which sets high standards for the new movie making generation.
Adorable robot love story while showing the consequences of current American lifestyles. A must see movie for the whole family.
The Will Farell comedy series may be getting a bit repetitious at the moment but this comedy was completely underrated. John C. Reilly is probably one of the most underrated actors of the moment. Movie is chalk full of great one liners probably since Anchorman.
A moving story about a orphaned boy who grows up in the slums of India. The quick paced movie is quite disturbing at times, but successfully portrays the underlining theme.
Mickey Rourke’s portrayal in The Wrestler is absolutely amazing and he does a fantastic job of conveying the emotion and heartbreak of a man trying to get back to a life he used to have. The documentary styled filming is perfect for the character driven movie.
Biopic of the first openly gay politician, Harvey Milk. Suprisingly uplifting, given the subject matter. Wonderful acting by all, wonderful hotness by James Franco.
A cool, thrilling superhero movie that also gave its viewers some things to think about. Surprisingly good performances from Gwyneth (who Emily hates) and RDJ.
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
One of the more realistic plot lines of the Judd Appatow movie series has Jason Segal trying to overcome heartbreak by escaping to a place full of honeymooners. A great romantic comedy.
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Beautiful and charming Woody Allen movie about two friends who spend a summer in Spain and entangle themselves with Javier Bardem. Penelope Cruz was particularly great.
(Sanita was not included because she doesn’t watch good TV).
1. Friday Night Lights–THE BEST. The third season has so far only been available on DirectTV, but it will be coming back to NBC in the coming weeks. WATCH IT. The second season had some bizarre storylines, but the third season is so so so good. Unfortunately it is only thirteen episodes, but they have done a hell of a lot with what they have had. This is the only one of three shows that everyone in my family enjoys (the others are #3 and #7 on this list). This show makes me cry a lot.
2. 30 Rock–THE SECOND BEST. This show is shockingly hilarious. The heir apparent to Arrested Development.
3. Mad Men–This show is sexy.
4. Chuck–This show is great and makes me happy. Wonderful combination of romance, humor, action/adventure. Better than the other Josh Schwartz show on T.V. right now (Gossip Girl, which I love), not as good as the first season of The O.C. (but what is).
5. The Tyra Banks Show–I probably spent more hours watching this than almost anything else in 08. Jesus Christ this show is an emotional rollercoaster! Tyra always has the most fascinating guests, and then she spends hours yelling at them for not living their lives to her moral standards. You really cannot beat that. Or sometimes she has Beyonce on and tells her a secret in front of the audience. God Tyra don’t ever change.
6. How I Met Your Mother–Even though this show hit some rough patches lately and is not really as good as it used to be, it is still hilarious, original, and waaay better than it needs to be.
7. The Office–repeat the above.
8. Gossip Girl–I watched an episode of this show with my roommate. She spent the entire hour making fun of the show. Next week she did the same thing. The next week she screamed when she realized it was Monday at 8 PM and Gossip Girl was on. She is now ADDICTED. This is what happens with this show. It never makes sense but it is never boring except when Serena’s boyfriend Aaron Rose is on the screen.
9. Project Runway–This show is riveting and great to watch with a group of people (these other shows I can’t watch with others because if they talk I want to cut them). Last season was obviously pretty lame but 2008 also brought us the delightful Christian Siriano.
10. Sanita’s Pick: I Love Money– This VH1 reality tv show takes all the outstanding rejects from other reject reality tv shows such as Flavor of Love, Flavor of Love 2, and Rock of Love then makes them compete for money. These celebrity wannabes try their hardest for tv time as well as a chance to win a minimal amount of money. Absolutely pure chaos and drama.